Many of the early Portuguese immigrants to Sausalito were from the Azores, a nine-island Atlantic archipelago. Hungry to preserve their traditions in their new homeland, many of the immigrants banded together to form the the "Irmandade do Divino Espírito Santo e Santissima Trindade," or the “Brotherhood of the Holy Ghost and the Blessed Trinity." It is commonly known as the “IDESST” or Portuguese Hall and more recently as the IDESST Sausalito Portuguese Cultural Center.
The organization was officially formed on May 13, 1888, and its initial facility was the Portuguese Hall located at 131 Filbert Street in Sausalito. That building remains largely unchanged today and is occupied by the Sausalito Christian Fellowship organization. The Sausalito Portuguese Cultural Center moved to a brand new building at its current location on Caledonia Street in 1954. Since it’s founding the Sausalito Portuguese Cultural Center has been a focal point of the region's Portuguese community. The Sausalito Portuguese Cultural Center is dedicated to the continued celebration of the Holy Ghost Festival and to the preservation and promotion of Portuguese history and culture.